Thursday, February 5, 2015

Prompt No. 4 : Parking Garage Confessions

"So... I finally did the thing I was telling you about."

Sara looked at me out of her periphery as she turned into the parking garage. "Seriously?"

"Yeah," I said. "I had to. It was just time, you know?"

She slowly eased her truck through the tiny aisles of the garage, turning her head back and forth for an empty spot. "I'm proud of you. Hey, keep an eye out for an empty spot. This place is full."

I took off my sunglasses to get a better look. "You're proud of me?! I'm slightly insulted. Jesus, it's dark in here."

She laughed. "Yeah, I'm proud. You finally did it after, what, 2 years? Why the hell didn't we bring your tiny ass car?!"

I looked over at her in disbelief, "It has NOT been 2 years. Wait. Oh my God, it has. What's WRONG with me?! Oh look, there's a spot."

Sara took her glasses off (finally.) "Shit. It's seriously the smallest parking spot in the history of parking spots. Are you absolutely serious?"

I reached into my bag to grab my chap-stick, "Am I serious about not realizing it's been 2 years? Or am I serious about the parking spot? Because, yes to both. And you can totally fit, just reverse in."

She gripped the steering wheel tightly as she considered the options. "Fine. I'll reverse in. Again, I ask, WHY didn't we bring your car??"

"Look, it wasn't my idea to buy this gigantic truck," I pointed out. "Let's blame that one on your husband. And furthermore, it was your turn to drive. Also, no pressure, but yoga starts in five."

Sara threw the truck into reverse, "Shit.Shit.Shit. I'm supposed to be all zen after this? Okay. Sorry. Finish your story while I MacGyver us into this spot."

I took a deep breathe. "Okay. So I just woke up one day last week and thought, What am I doing? You know? I'm 30 years old. And I can't do this one simple thing?? I can do this."

She turned to looked me, stopping halfway in the spot. "You didn't even do it, did you? There's no way in hell I'm getting this truck into this miniature parking spot. And class has basically started so, yeah, I'm over it."

My mouth dropped open. "Okay fine. I didn't. But if I had, that was pretty convincing, wasn't it?"

She laughed. "Whatever. Tiff's treats or Amy's ice cream."

" Do you even have to ask?"

"Amy's ice cream," we said in unison.

We slid our sunglasses back on and pulled out of the parking garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment