Monday, February 2, 2015

Prompt No. 1 : Ode to a Sandwich


It is impossible to fully describe the greatness of a sandwich. Much less multiple sandwiches. But I will attempt the impossible. 

I feel the best place to begin would be the base of the sandwich, choice of bread. Even though bread may seem innocuous enough, It is crucial to choose the right type of bread. After all, one would not eat Pastrami unless it was served upon Rye. Or an Italian sandwich unless it was between two pieces of sourdough. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point. Bread is essential. FRESH bread is absolutely essential. When you take a bite, you want to taste that wonderful, yeasty flavor. It must crunch ever so slightly to give that exquisite texture one searches for in fresh bread. I myself prefer a warm, toasty sandwich. NOT over toasted, where you take a bite and it hurts the roof of your mouth. No. The perfect crunch of a warm, toasted sandwich can bring only happiness. 

The Sandwich (yes, with a capital S) is the perfect blank canvas on which to build a meal. The possibilities are truly endless. Lest I become cliché, let us take the Cobb Salad. As I was trolling my collection of favorite blogs, I stumbled upon a recipe post for Cobb Salad Sandwich. Can we just revel at the genius of a Cobb Salad Sandwich?!! First, take a moment to consider the ingredients of a Cobb Salad. It is my duty as a food loving kind of gal to point out the most obvious of ingredients, Bacon. The smoky, saltiness one gets in every bite is enough to bring on a foodgasm. Yeah, I said foodgasm. I am just that type of person that would use THAT super fancy Apple wood smoked bacon too. And that my friends, is what compels me to use the word foodgasmFoodgasmMoving on, you also have grilled chicken, perfectly hard boiled eggs, creamy avocado, crispy lettuce, and juicy tomatos. All the makings of a super awesome BLT. But wait, throw some blue cheese dressing on there and we are in business people. Honestly, I need a sandwich in front of me. This sandwich preferably. 

I suppose my point was, before going off on a Cobb Salad rant, that one possesses a never-ending supply of ingredients to create a sandwich that is worthy of greatness. And it only gets better when you add ingredients such as bacon and/or avocado. Actually, I feel like avocado might be a necessity for every sandwich. Food for thought. Now excuse me while I fry up this bacon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! My mouth is watering just reading about it. I definitely want a Cobb Sandwich now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I was definitely getting hungry as I wrote it! Glad you enjoyed the read :)

      Delete