Monday, February 23, 2015

Prompt No. 18 : Lunch Date

"I'll have the Cobb Salad," I said as I passed the menu to the waiter.

"Same for me," said Sara.

She promptly turned my way, focusing on my ring finger. "So. Tell me EVERYTHING."

I smiled coyly. Sara and I were finally meeting up for a lunch to celebrate my engagement. I hadn't seen my best friend since she had given birth to a tiny human that required every inch of her attention. I loved that kid but I missed my best friend more.

I opened my mouth to begin my story and Sara's phone rang shrilly.

"Shit. Sorry, Tanya, it's John. He's at home with..." her voice trailed off as she answered her phone.

Her forehead crinkled as she answered, "Hey" loudly.

I looked around the restaurant. It was fairly empty but it would soon start to fill up with the local lunch crowd.

'What!?' She shrieked. I looked at her sharply. Sorry, she mouthed in my direction.

"Did you smell it?" she questioned. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"John. JUST smell it. Yes, I'm serious."

I smiled weakly as a couple was seated at the table right next to us.

"Look, if you're not going to smell IT, you're going to have to tell me WHAT it LOOKS like. I don't even care John, just DESCRIBE it to me,"

I suddenly realized where this conversation was heading and I could feel my face start to heat up from embarrassment.

The restaurant was steadily filling with diners as my best friend discussed her baby's diaper situation in a cavalier fashion. Rather loudly at that.

"It's WHAT color?! Jesus. John, did you poison our child?"

I giggled nervously as the gentleman to my left cleared his throat and raised his eyebrow in my direction.

"Sara," I hissed sharply, attempting to get her attention.

She held up her hand as she loudly spoke into her phone, "John, I'm coming home. I KNEW it was a mistake to leave you alone..."

She mercifully clicked END and stood up as our sever was delivering our plates.

"I'm sorry Tanya. I have to bail. MAJOR baby crisis. I hope you understand..." she trailed off as she slipped her coat on and ran out the door.

I looked up at our confused waiter, sighing deeply.

"Check please."

No comments:

Post a Comment