Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Prompt No. 19 : The Case of the Breaking Plates

My mother broke every plate in the house that day. I suppose it would help if I backtracked to the beginning.

I was just a silly high school kid, hanging out with my friends, smoking pot, eating junk food, watching stupid movies, whatever. Nothing crazy.

I had walked through my front door that afternoon and straight into my room. Immediately, I had emptied out the contents of my small purse and placed a brown envelope into my top drawer. As I was shutting the drawer closed, my mother knocked on my door.

I nervously pulled my sweatshirt off and called out, "Come in."

My mother never knocked. Actually, she never meddled in any of my business so this little visit was a surprise.

"Hey mom. whats up?"

She strolled into my room, looking around slowly, "You should really do laundry, it's piling up in here." At that, she bent over and scooped up a pile of my dirty clothing.

"Mom, no, you really don't have to." I quickly stepped forward to grab my clothing but she turned and walked out of my room.

I plopped down on my bed, completely confused, because my mother NEVER did my laundry. I checked my top drawer once more and satisfied with my hidden envelope I walked to the living room.

I probably should have paid much more attention to my mother's doings but I was engrossed in a television show. Until I realized that she had just walked into my room with a pile of freshly laundered folded clothing.

My heart almost exploded when I ran into my room to find my mother rummaging in my top drawer. She whirled around with my envelope in hand, "What is this?"

My mouth dropped open as I stood there watching her open the envelope and bring the contents up to her nose. "Is this MARIJUANA?!" she whispered harshly,

I nodded yes, still speechless. Her eyes were wide and incredulous, "Where did you get this from??!"

Looking around my room, searching for some form of great answer, I began to ramble, " Its not mine. I swear. It's a friends. I'm only holding it. We got it from this guy Joe. He's really really nice. He works with us. It's not mine. I don't even really know what you do with it."

Her face paled as she started to walk out my room with the envelope, "A guy named Joe?? You got it from a guy named JOE?" she muttered, more to herself than me.

I followed her to the bathroom, suddenly realizing what she was about to do, "Wait..." I reached out for her shoulder.

Too late, I watched her flush the contents of the envelope down the toilet. She whirled around to face me, satisfaction on her face and stormed out of the bathroom.

I stood there, mourning my loss silently when I heard glass breaking in the kitchen.

Peeking around the corner, I saw my mother breaking every single one of her plates. With a smile on her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment