Saturday, February 14, 2015

Prompt No. 13 : Summer Love

My first summer as a lifeguard was the summer I fell in love. I was only 15 years old.

This was technically my first job ever, and on the day I started, I was beyond nervous. I walked into the head lifeguard office with shaky legs, searching for the girl who would show me the ropes.

I had on a navy blue racer back one piece with the lifeguard logo stitched onto the chest, and a pair of matching wind shorts.  I had pulled my wavy hair back tightly into a topknot but curly tendrils were starting to escape with the beach humidity.

As I stood waiting, I could see another figure in blue out of the corner of my eye. I turned to say hi, and my voice caught. His name was Jesse, I would later learn, and he was gorgeous. He had a perfect tan, from surfing, and hazel eyes that shone like a prism.

As I stared at him, for an embarrassingly long amount of time, his face broke out into a huge grin. He had shockingly white teeth with a picture perfect, Colgate toothpaste commercial smile. He was the most gorgeous boy I had ever met in my fifteen years.

After that first day of awkwardness, mostly on my part, it was a week before I could actually speak to him without stuttering.

He asked me on a breakfast date the following week. He said he knew where to find the BEST breakfast tacos on the island. Technically, it wasn't on the island but it was close enough.

We met at Isabel's Tacos the following morning before our shift. He had swapped shifts with someone, just so he could take me out for breakfast then spend the day life-guarding with me.

He was absolutely right about those breakfast tacos. The tortillas were huge, bigger than a human head!  He ordered for me, claiming he knew the BEST taco to order. And he was right. It was basically an everything taco, full of crispy bacon. potatoes, melted cheese, scrambled eggs and the best  re-fried beans of your life.

We spent the day watching an empty beach with crashing waves, talking nonstop about music, movies and teenage life. As our shift concluded, we took a swim, running into the water hand in hand, laughing and splashing each other. Both of us diving under at the same time, never letting go of each other. He kissed me then, as we came up for air. It was salty, sandy perfection. After that first kiss, I knew I was done for. Head over heels.

Maybe I even knew the minute I locked eyes on him on my first day.

Whatever the case, he was my first summer love. And even though we never made it past that summer, I'll always remember our salty kisses by the beach and Isabel's tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment