Sunday, March 8, 2015

Prompt No. 26 : Rainy Day

I walked out my front door and felt a large drop fall on my cheek. I looked up at the sky and felt another rain drop slide down my forehead.

Damn. It's raining. And I don't even know where my umbrella is.

I looked down at my phone to check the time. Only 20 more minutes until I was supposed to meet him. It takes thirty to get to our place.

I began to swiftly walk towards my car, forgetting about the umbrella, thinking I had to make it on time. He hated when I was late.

The sky was dark and stormy. Shades of slate, blue and gray. The clouds rippling in distress. There was a storm coming.

I turned my car on and began driving towards my destination. Large raindrops coming down onto my windshield, harder and harder as I drove faster down the highway.

My favorite song came on, it always reminded me of him, so I turned it up even louder. Singing the words to myself as I sped down the exit.

"He said to be cool, but I'm already the coolest..."

Only ten minutes away now, I checked my reflection in the visor mirror. I had great cheekbones, so I liked to pull my hair back. He would pull it down anyway, but I think he enjoyed doing that himself.

The music swelled up even louder in my speakers, I could hardly hear the rain pounding on my car as I drove through the red light.

I felt this amazing pressure as the truck hit my car from the driver's side. So hard, I was lifted off my seat, my seat belt unable to contain me.

Nausea hit me as the car rolled over three times. It was no ordinary truck that hit me. It was a semi, driving rather fast on an early Sunday morning. He must have been running late like me.

I felt a sharpness across my head and arms as my body flew out the broken window. It was a weird feeling, flying through the air. For a moment, I couldn't feel anything but cool raindrops on my body and the wind rushing around me. It was a refreshing rainy day, no humidity at all.

My body rolled onto the grass and I landed, stomach up. I'm not really sure how long my eyes were closed but when I opened them, I saw the sky.

Gorgeous stormy colors swirling up above me. Bluish grays and and silver streaks across the overcast sky. You never really appreciate a rainy day until you look up at the canvas the sky creates.

It was beautiful. And I admired that beauty as I lay in the grass, feeling the rain sprinkle every inch of my body.

For a moment, I tensed up, wondering what he would think now that I was already late. Would he be angry? Would he come find me? What would he think once he realized I was not going to show up?

But then my errant thoughts were forgotten, as I felt myself fall away.

Into the gray.




No comments:

Post a Comment