Thursday, March 5, 2015

Prompt No. 25: Breakfast- A love story

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. When I go to bed at night, I know that when I wake in the morning, I get to have a cup of coffee. Maybe some eggs. And that makes me happy.

Rich, full bodied, medium brews are perfection. When I grind my coffee beans, because I am a firm believer in the whole coffee bean, a chocolatey scent permeates the air, enticing me.

There is absolutely nothing, I mean NOTHING, that smells better than a brewing pot of coffee.

The bold flavor of a coffee bean grown in Guatemala, harvested in rich dark volcanic soil, is my absolute favorite. Notes of caramel and mocha in my coffee cup, soothing my mind before the day begins.

I can't think of anything that goes better with a flawless cup of coffee than a plate of eggs. But not just any ordinary eggs. There are so many different ways to cook an egg. Sometimes its hard to choose what to begin your day with.

There are creamy scrambled eggs. Perfectly fried over easy eggs. 5 minute eggs that you crack open and spill over on toasted bread. So many options.

But today, poached eggs called my name.

Poached eggs are divine. Cooked in simmering water, the white completely encases a smooth, velvety yellow. Served over a medley of caramelized onions and crisp fingerling potatoes, the eggs spill over the vegetables like a creamy cheese sauce. Flavors melding all together, satisfying every inch of your taste buds.

Yes, breakfast is the quintessential meal in my book. Without it, what would one's day be like?

That's a question, I would not choose to explore.




No comments:

Post a Comment